Carving full 3D objects / noise levels / dust

Hi Goliath people!
just stumbled across this machine - looks pretty interesting on first sight, particularly the possibility to put it away in a small(ish) package after work is done!

Found the matching Kickstarter, in the FAQ it is described that full 3D carving with arbitrary heights is considered.
Is this already possible by now? So can I load e.g. a STEP file of an organic 3D shape, let Slingshot calculate the paths and carve it? Assuming that the maximum z-height is considered and the object can be drilled with 3 axis of course.
Speaking of axis: Can the CAM program cope with calculating paths that involve turning the working plate, so fully 3D objects can be carved from two sides?

That would make this machine pretty interesting for long objects!

Also: How is noise level and dust generation (with the dust collector) for wood plates? Is this “talking noise” level and clean enough, so it could be done in a living room of a flat with neighbours? Or is this a no-go without a dedicated, isolated workshop room?

1 Like

hi,
I’m a kickstarter backer of this project and obviously follow up closely the developments, as far as we get information.
For now 2.5D is not possible, certainly not 3D.
But I found your idea interesting.
Considering the nature of this machine, I would opt to split a 3D design in half (or any number), let the machine carve out the pieces and glue them together.
Turning around a piece to carve the back side would create all sort of problems and restrictions that would not make it practical.

I’m still hoping the goliath team could get more involved in the forum, they could provide you with a much better answer then me.

2 Likes

Hello @NaN,
currently, Slingshot can’t manage 3D files as a STEP.
On the other hand, from a mechanical point of view, the robot today can manage interpolation between X and Y movements, and the Z-axis. A couple of examples are how Goliath manages the depth of cut (moving down with the Z in a helicoidal way), or how it realizes the tabs. This is to say that on the mechanics there is a predisposition, and we could take into consideration this feature, based on your requests and the development effort.

Regarding the dust collection and noise level, personally, I would not recommend using it in the living room. From the user manual:

"Noise level information
Noise emission values were measured in accordance with EN 62841-3-9.
The estimated sound pressure level A of the machine is dB(A): noise level 85 dB(A); sound power level 95 dB(A). Measurement uncertainty K=3 dB."

The dust collector keeps the surface clean, but based on the design you cut it could happen that a very small part of sawdust is still present, so, again, probably is not the best for a domestic environment.

1 Like

Hey Franky, thanks for the reply.
We made a similar test regarding the technique of create layers that recreates a 3D shape.
If you miss it, take a look to this project

The layers are pretty thick, but the idea is the same!

1 Like

hi, I saw this article in the last update.
The example of Studio Melesi is what I do with a laser cutter, but I’m working on smaller projects with that.

What I meant in my previous post was combining layers carved out in 2.5D mode, which would make virtually any 3D object possible to create, without any real gaps or seams, as long as the design is cleverly sliced up.

Well, just searched an example:
if goliath is able to do what you can see on this youtube in a foreseeable future, I have what I always wanted.
Start at min 5:30
click => Biggest 3d panel with CNC router

2 Likes

Thank you @Lorenzo for the feedback!
I understand that there are limits how silent it can get to drive a drill through solid material. But if there is still some room for optimization this might be an interesting design goal for a follow up product.
Because people who have a dedicated workshop have a lot of options of CNC routers to choose from, at home the combination of compact package size when not in use and the possibility to work on large objects would be pretty much without competition when the rest of the parameters fit the use case (thus not too loud and dust levels below full living room decontamination after each fabrication run). And 2.5D or 3D would also help a lot, because for low volumes (like one thing) a pure 2D router has fierce competition with a hand saw in non-professional maker circles :slight_smile:

Hello,
I have joined the forum today.
If I am not mistaken, one major reason why 2.5 D or 3D would not work is that the wheels should always stay on the original flat surface and cannot roll on a carved surface.

This is also why I think that attention should be paid if large grooves have to be made in the working panel, such that the wheel would fall in them, thereby tilting Goliath.

Any comments?