Extruded text using inkscape

I was curious how to do extruded text and have posted a sample in the past.
I made this for my friends daugter.
I made the text in inkscape and cut into two half for fill cut.
If any one interested would like to do a tutorial in future.
Initial cut was with 3mm bit to 1mm deep took a long time as the speed rate only 300.
I then changed to 6mm bit with 1000 feed rate and depth of 3mm.
I followed it with a 90 degree v bit and a spiral bit both going on the text not pocket.
The centre bridge removed sanded and my wife painted.

6 Likes

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I did this once, I think if I were to do it again I would do a very shallow cut of the letters on the signage where I wanted the letters, then do a separate cut of the letters and glue them into the shallow cuts which would give a cleaner finish over all.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion @Tom. Other option is to make another canvas with letters and cut them same depth with a spiral bit ( the tip is 0.5mm) and the do a separate cut on the board on the outer trace. This will give crisp letters and less clean up around them.
This was my second attempt on 12 mm mdf may it would be better on real wood like ash.
Just to prove the point relief cut text can be done on goliath.

so cut the letters first on outside/online then use the outline picture in canvas 2 and pocket cut to get good crisp letters with a bit of bevel edge.
this type would be my next project in real wood (ash).

1 Like

Oops! I made an error in the spelling.
I had to redo the project but this time I followed @Tom idea and it was much simple.
I sliced 6 mm thick oak

wood and carved letters to 5mm deep( i should have gone 5.8mm) with 0.5mm taper spiral bit and cut them out painted. I made 1mm deep cut on other board and glued them.

3 Likes