Imported SVG is teeny teeny tiny in Slingshot

Newbie here with all things CNC and related software, so this is likely user error. Still, I used to be a software engineer, so this shouldn’t be THAT hard…

I purchased a set of custom plans for a travel trailer galley drawer insert. The “plans” came as a Fusion 360 file. This is the very file this guy uses to make these inserts. He agreed to sell me the file because he is backed up until fall. A great project for my new Goliath. Hmmm.

I downloaded the free trial (full version) of Fusion 360 and exported a DxF of the entire project. I also exported DxF files of the individual panels. (I know you can export SVGs from Fusion 360 using an add-in from a Springa competitor, but the add-in didn’t seem to work.)

Following the instructions from Springa in a YouTube video found here, I downloaded Inkscape and tried to use the full project Dxf to convert to SVG. The panels were all laying on top of each other with many facing on end instead of laying flat. I couldn’t figure out how to break them apart and rotate them to the correct orientation, so I opted to import a few individual panels at a time. The resulting imports seemed rather small in Inkscape, but I proceeded as instructed.

When I imported the resulting SVG into Slingshot, the set of four panels was so tiny I could barely see them. That’s when I gave up and decided to ask for help.

What am I doing wrong? This can’t be that difficult.

RadicalDad
without you being able to share these files for obvious reasons, it’s a bit hard.
I have no experience yet with goliath (I made enough noise about that in other posts), but plenty with DXF and SVG.
My suggestion: give QCAD a try.
Its standard file format is DXF and it exports to SVG without fail, I use if for years for my lasercutter projects.

Curious for the result.

I tried QCAD. Actually QCAD/CAM because I thought that is what I needed to export an SVG. Slingshot hangs at step 2 Creating Tracks when importing QCAD’s output.

I could upload a single panel SVG output from Fusion 360. That won’t violate anybody’s intellectual property. (If you can recreate the entire project from one panel, go for it!) Would that be helpful? The panel in question comes out being approximately 3" wide. It should be about 20" wide. Perhaps someone could tell me what I’m doing wrong.

I have just uploaded the problem SVG. It is a single panel which 1919 px by 1392 px at 96 dpi. This translates to 19.989" x 14.5". In millimeters, this is 508 x 368.3 and Inkscape confirms this measurement. Again, this translates to 20" x 14.5". No matter what I do to this panel in Inkscape, even not changing the mm measure to inches, and following all of Springa’s directions as outlined in the video I linked in my original post, this panel imports in Slingshot as 50.96 mm by 36.88 mm which is obviously way too small. There is obviously a bug somewhere. This can’t be user error.

Perhaps someone can download this file and confirm for me that it is importing with totally bozo dimensions and perhaps suggest a fix. I’ve already given up on Goliath for this project and am using conventional tools to build the drawers and cabinet, but I’d like to figure out what is wrong. Otherwise the Goliath isn’t worth anything if the required software cannot import files.

Hi! As described in the email we just sent you, all you need to do is change the size of the design using the text fields on the right-hand side of Slingshot.

You will then need to select the design in Slingshot and enter 508 in length and 368.3 in width and press enter:

1 Like

That will get me through this project, but that means I have 17 panels to determine their real size in Inkscape, load into Slingshot, and then resize. A real PITA (pain in the a## if you don’t know the US slang).

Why is Slingshot altering the dimensions that are clearly in the SVG? It seems this is a bug that needs attention.

Oops, nope, that doesn’t work. I just looked carefully at the top board in Slingshot. The dovetail edges have been significantly altered from the original. The parts won’t fit together if I use this as-is. One assumes that the resizing did something odd to the shapes of the dovetails. This is a no-go.

Again, how do i get this to work?

Not all drawings are perfect.
I tried milling gears, and Goliath did really weird things.
Until I enlarged the drawing in the CAD program where there were problems and saw that the lines were not connected and there were too many lines. inkscape had randomly connected the line ends.
Never trust drawings you didn’t create yourself.

1 Like

There are youtube videos how to make dovetail joints / finger joints / box joints (dovetailjoints on inkscape - Google Search) it is best you make your own. This way your sizes are perfect.
It is not that difficult to make a drawing in inkscape- you may have to spend some time learning inkscape but less time in cutting and wasted boards.

The file needs to be scaled in Inkscape, per Slinga’s recomendation in importing tutorials. Once you do it correctly once, delete everything in that inkscape file, save it as a “template” and everytime you import into that one it should scale correctly

2 Likes