Scenery for Peter Pan

A local high school just happened to find the guy with 3D modelling experience, boat building experience, professional theatrical scenery builder and a Goliath. This is for a production of Peter Pan:

13 Likes

To cool. Can’t wait to see more!

-William

Looks amazing! Would love to hear some more details, how the nesting was done, initial software used to draw this, the plywood looks thick, how many passed it had to go over to get through the wood and how long this all took. Thank you for sharing!

The ship was modeled as a solid in autocad, I then took slices every foot in two directions, a slice at center, and a slice for the base. The slices were then flattened and redrawn as polylines. All parts nest together with cut outs halfway through opposing perpendicular piece. The pieces fit together very nicely, with exception of my human error in misplacing one notch/minor modeling errors etc.

Material is 3/4 CDX plywood-which I would not recommend as I went through a couple of bits dulled by the glue and knots of the lower quality plywood. The last sheet I cut was furniture grade ply which went so much smoother. This is all frame work that is going to get covered up by strips of 1/4" plywood, so I didn’t want to use nicer plywood.

Most parts took about 20 min to cut each, at feed rate 1250mm/min, 3 mm per pass, 6 passes per component. I left an onion skin and only cut to 16mm of the 17ish mm. 47 parts in total, around 20 hours of work time for all the cuts.

6 Likes

Amazing! Thank you for sharing. :clap:

Very cool project, congrats!

Which router speed did you use in your project?

How did you recognise a dulled out router bit?

1 Like

I’ve kept the speed around 4, and moved it slightly above or below to try something different. At a few points I hit a knot or loads of glue and the machine pivoted around the bit without progressing.

Great job Tom! Thanks for sharing!

Here’s how the boat will look from the audience and from backstage. It only needs to be finished where the audience can see it, so you all can see how the framing lives underneath

4 Likes

Much appreciated! I love your explanation and the way you did it. Very cool you can flatten the lines in Autocad. I am working with Fusion 360, and there it’s not possible.

Do you find 20 minutes per part acceptable? Was this because of manual labor by cutting each part separate, did you not try to nest entire sheets to reduce this manual labor?

I’ve used Fusion 360 a little bit, I found a tutorial showing how to flatten from Fusion 360 with Meshmixer (now I need to try meshmixer!) How to flatten 3D Part in Fusion 360 to lasercut or print the shape - YouTube

1 Like

I think 20 min per part is acceptable, it did feel slow, but I think to match the same accuracy it would take me more than 20 min per cut factoring in all the prep time laying it out or making paper plots to trace cut. It probably only feels slow because I’m not the one actively working. Even still, having the goliath cut the parts frees me up to do other things.

1 Like

Great Job! Thanks for sharing, did you use the bit which was included in Goliath or any other? If so, what kind of bit did you use?

I first used the original bit, but I think I’ve dulled it out. So I put in a 6mm double fluted. I don’t fully understand single flute v double flute yet or which is best for my application

all coming along nicely, will be adding more tomorrow.

4 Likes

Double flute takes twice the amount of material in each revolution (so faster).
But the strength of the bit may be redìuced. There are plenty of videos on youtube.
The bit prices varies good bits can be expensive (i use from Amazon cheep ones from china) when the bit gets dull the cut will not be crisp and bit gets too hot which further dulls bit.

Upcutting bits will clear the material upwards, down cutting will push the matrial down (the cut edge varies), spiral bits have a very fine tip good for engraving(they make a conical grove/hole)
The v-bits (2flute or more) will make a v grove good for finishing edges.

2 Likes

And all done

5 Likes

You are awesome with the art!

-William

1 Like