Slingshot Release Notes - 1.9.6

Hello, everyone in this topic you will find the changelog of Slingshot.
This post will be updated every time a new version gets released.

We highly recommend that you keep your Goliath up to date!

Slingshot Release Notes

1.09.06 – released 2023-07-07

Added

• Added a step at the end of the “Panel Detection” procedure reminding to remove the top filter of Goliath before starting the cut.

• Added, at the setting page, the button for downloading Slingshot version 2 beta and becoming a beta tester. When installing the Slingshot version 2 beta, you will be asked to agree to anonymous sharing of the usage data with Springa srl. It is recommended to be already familiar with the first version of Slingshot.

Changed

• Added two decimals to the Goliath coordinates in the Jog Mode panel.

1.09.05 – released 2023-02-06

Added

• Added a new logic that calculates the execution sequence of the tracks. This will find the sequence where Goliath will make travel less distance between the tracks.
  • Added a firmware version check, that will force updating the devices if the first version of the firmware is detected.
  • Added cursors icons for the Pan and Tab tools. Now when these tools are activated the cursor will have the corresponding icon.
  • Added a check for incorrect coordinate values during G-code generation. The check will prevent Goliath from starting to execute a G-code that could trigger an incorrect transition between cuts.
  • A popup will open in case the communication with Goliath gets lost.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a bug in the Drawing Option panel that was wrongly changing the Depth per pass value.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the wrong sorting of tracks by the assigned bit. Resulting in too many bit changes.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the steps in the “panel detection” procedure in which it was necessary to measure the distance between tower sensors to be skipped.
  • Fixed how the tab position is calculated. Now the center of the yellow circle on the screen will be exactly the center of the tabs, not the starting point.
  • Fixed a bug in the logic that applies tabs to the tracks.

Changed

• Changed how the depth per pass is applied to open track. Now on the way out the bit reaches half depth per pass and full depth per pass on the way back.
  • Changed the proceeding downward helix movement on a closed path. Now the depth of a segment of the path is calculated by the ratio between the segment length and the total track length.
  • During the panel detection the squares used to select the position of the second tower are shown only in the corresponding step.
  • Changed how the log file name is structured. Now the date will be placed before the file extension.
  • Changed the description of the “Position error” popup. Explaining what could be the causes of the error.

1.9.4 – released 2022-12-20

Added

• Added a description at the setup step where is asked to choose the Tower configuration.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a bug related to the tabs, that caused the error “track out of canvas” even if the track was in the middle of the canvas. Now the tabs are properly deleted every time a different operation is assigned to the track. Tabs already placed will also be deleted when using the “Automatic Tabs” tool.

Changed

• Changed the font size of the “Panel Detection” windows
  • Changed the font size of the tool calibration windows
  • In all the windows of the “Panel Detection” where the canvas is displayed, size quotes will be shown.
  • The name of the bit to mount/calibrate is displayed in the title of the calibration window.

1.9.3 - released 2022-08-30

Added

• Added an online check for new Towers firmware and notification to the user that a new version is available.
  • Added first-time popup to remind users to calibrate Z axis backlash, which can be found on the Setting Page.

Fixed

• Fixed a bug showing wrong Towers battery values.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the project from being saved when sending G-Code to Goliath.
  • Towers firmware is now correctly read from Goliath.
  • Fixed a bug causing Slingshot to not close correctly.
  • Removed bug causing redundant bit changes of outline operations.
  • Improved reliability of communication with Goliath after panel detection and when sending G-Code.

Changed

• Slingshot now waits for Goliath to end spindle movements before enabling commands at first use of Jog Mode.

1.9.1 - released 2022-05-23

Added

• Added function “Auto tab placement”
  • Now Tab sizes be changed in the editor.

(Following feature work only with 1.2.2 or later version of Goliath Firmware)

• Added options for zero Z axis calibration:
    • Use a tool you have - use a flat steel tool of your choice to calibrate (you must know the thickness!)
      with this option, Goliath performs a better calibration because it’s not altered by the shape of the bit and the hardness of the material
    • Calibrate directly on the panel - the simplest but less precise choice
  • Added at Settings Page “Z axis backlash register” panel.
  • Added new communication protocol between Goliath and Slingshot. Now all the useful info is packed into a single message. This makes communication more stable and reliable.
  • Added a message error if the mainboard of Goliath reaches 75°C while cutting, Goliath will shut down and the cut will be aborted.

Fixes

• Tabs are no longer deleted when changing bit or track options but are adapted to the new size.
  • Tab can now be placed everywhere along full depth tracks
  • Tabs now will be executed only at passes lower than tab thickness
  • Fixed bug where Slingshot could not open the Wi-Fi communication with Goliath

Changes

• Improved check for updates when starting Slingshot.

1.8.3 - released 2022-03-16

Added (these features work only with 1.2.1 or later version of Goliath Firmware)

• Infos about Goliath start-up checks are now received and logged.
  • After “Panel Detection” completion Goliath is now drawn and visible on the canvas.
  • Added a “Release Notes” pop-up which appears at first start-up after Slingshot is updated.
  • Added the “Abort” button in the production screen useful to stop Goliath during any work.
  • After a successful or aborted cut you can open a new project without the need to redo the "Panel Detection and restart Slingshot or Goliath.
  • Goliath firmware can now be updated in Slingshot, using the Wi-Fi connection (works only with versions of Goliath Firmware 1.2.0 or later).
  • Added an “Update firmware” popup on start-up when new firmware is released.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed error that causes popups to not show up correctly when Goliath is running.
  • Corrected sizes of tab icon and open-element icon, the size will change according to view zoom.
  • Fixed bug causing the connection to Goliath to fail or slow down.
  • Fixed bug causing an incorrect depth per pass value during track creation.

Changed

• the “Duplicate Track” feature can now copy multiple tracks and maintain their relative position.
  • In the “Panel Detection” process the option “Connection using an external Wi-Fi” is now the default option.
  • Panel detection using towers sensors is currently disabled.
  • Improved precision while checking if tabs are needed for tracks.
  • Improved error detection during G-Code creation.
  • Tabs will be deleted when changing bit if the diameter is different from the previous one.

1.8.0 - released 2021-12-22

Bug Fixes

• Fixed bug causing socket buffer to slow down and freeze the communication between Goliath and the computer.

Changes

• Added fallback in case of error during the generation or the transmission of the G-Code.
  • Constrained tab position only on track segments equal or longer than 35 mm.
  • Update to communication protocol to enable support of improved status communications from Goliath.
  • Improved index status check timing, a fixed bug causing a false error to be logged multiple times.
3 Likes

is that the same as 1.8.0.0?

That’s what my Slingshot says I have.

I guess so I have just downloaded 1.8.0.0 and am updating firmware for goliath only I read the instructions a couple of times and it has down loaded but writing is taking some time and both leds are blinking not the centre one.

It is over 40 min and still waiting for the tranfer to complete, I have pressed ok for reboot and pressed next but the two leds are blinking.???

Edit3 after an hour I turned goliath off and on again no lights- my heart sank thinking it has bricked. I did not receive a promt that transfer is complete .
Disconnected the usb and turned on the robot it started and now trying to trial if it works.
This is the log which indicate it has upgraded.
No more indexing errors.
Also the new slingshot did not erase the bit library :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey! My Golith is working :grinning::pray:

I have used a vbit and a depth of 0.2 mm seems perfect in depth as I have used decorator scraper (of o.25mm thick) at each bit change .

Merry Christmas to all​:christmas_tree::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

1 Like

What I have noticed is that it’s misleading on the reboot screen. It’s asking YOU to reboot the robot (power cycle). Once you do it will see it come back online and say write complete.

-William

You are right @genecent lt was mentioned as reboot -yes and -next then should have said power recycle instead said do not diconnect usb. Mine worked as I turned the machine off(mimiking a power failure) then on. But I did not get the message write complete.

Glad it is working now and the bit data is preserved :+1:

2 Likes

I came here looking for this exact question. I had no issues updating, but had similar confusion over the manual power cycle.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
has been released the nee version of Slingshot

In the first post, you can read all the notes about it.

2 Likes

Hi, I hope this is the correct thread for my question.
When is the new release date for the next software update?

1 Like

From kickstarter:

Slingshot

[Version 1.9.1 - release on 2022-05-13]

Please note, that the following feature work only with 1.2.2 or later version of Goliath Firmware

However it is not available. Same for the firmware updates noted in the kickstarter thread.

Good morning! We apologise, but we encountered some bugs during the last release tests; we confirm that the new version will be released within this week.

1 Like

Hi Lucia
I have not used goliath fir some time as I travelled to Australia end of march. Shoild I load the latest software and firmware or keep using the olderversion?

Hello! We advise you to wait until the new versions are released in the next few days.

Hello everyone,
has been released the nee version of Slingshot

You can read all the info about it, in the first post.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
the new version of Slingshot has been released:

You can read all about it, in the first post.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
the new version of Slingshot has been released:

Please check the first post to learn about it.

Hello everyone,
today we have release the new version of Slingshot.
From this version you will be able to access the Beta Tester Program of Slingshot version 2.

1 Like