2.5D CARVING relief or "non constant depth pocket "

I’m really interrested in the Goliath solution but I need a feature which I’m not sure is supported by Goliath.
I need to be able to carve 2.5D things, and on the FAQ it’s said that 2.5 milling is supportted but I did not find any example on youtube, could someone point me to something relevant?
In fact I need 2.5D carving such as reliief or “non constant depth pocket”
Could someone point me to something relevant? Or is that finally not possible for now?

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but did you find any information on this??

Hi, you can find an example of our 2.5D machining at the following link:

1 Like

I haven’t tried this, but my guess is you’d need to have multiple “nested” pockets. So a if you wanted to make (for example) a bowl shape, you’d need to have the largest radius, outermost pocket with a depth of 3mm (arbitrary number). Then you’d need to make smaller radius pocket slightly deeper. After multiple passes, you’d have a “stepped” bowl shape. You could then either sand or use another bit (I’m guessing ball-end or 45 degree bit) centered the edge of the steps to round/machine down the steps.

I’m pretty sure that Slingshot does not have a feature to describe a pocket of infinitely varying depth; it has to have a set depth and basically make “steps”. But by using a different bit or just sanding, you can probably eliminate the steps. For basic shapes, like the bowl example, this is probably fine, but not a great proposition for true 3D carving.

Hello! Goliath would have to be capable of working in 3D in order to carry out such a process, but at the moment it is only capable of 2.5D. The machine is already set up to work in three dimensions, but a number of firmware and software changes are required. So it will definitely be possible in the future, but we don’t yet have a precise date on when this will happen.

1 Like